Friday, December 10, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

For years it's been in my mind that I would have a baby in October.  It would be perfect.  I'd get pregnant in January.  I would have months upon months with my sweet baby by my side in the down season.  I wouldn't have to worry right off the bat about childcare.  January...alright, perfect.  Matt's and my wedding was in January.  While we were engaged, we talked about how stressful it would be to get pregnant right away.  My sister did it...she had a surprise, and she survived.  I was told about the difficult moments, the added stress of sleepless nights (and days) to an already stressful situation of learning the process of a new normal, someone around all the time, someone seeing you at your absolute worst, seeing the highs and lows of your life that were able to be sheltered before.  So, Matt and I discussed it and we decided we would just see what happened.  January came and went.  February came and went.  March came and went....and so on.  I won't get into the nitty-gritty here on this blog but emotions ran high, questions were asked, doctors were visited, and the months, well they just kept passing us by.

But, come October, my body obviously decided to cooperate.  And we are overjoyed.  We are cautious, but way more than happy.

We told our parents on Thanksgiving.  It went *close* to plan but not exactly as it was planned out to be.  At one point in the evening, we started taking pictures.  We took pictures of the Fraser family and then of Matt and I with his parents and soon added in my parents.  My sister was behind the camera saying "Ok, say cheese!"  And everyone followed direections, "Cheeeeeeeeese!!!"  Then she said "Ok, ready?  AUBREY'S PREGNANT!!!!!" when she should have said "Ok, on 3, everyone say Aubrey's pregnant.  1...2..3..." and catch the surprises on camera.  Well...she was too excited.  And that's ok.  Because Michele, Matt's mom, still responded with wide-eyed shock.  

And my mom who stood and repeated "No she's not, she would have told me."  Hence the look on my face...it's too bad there wasn't video because she was so shocked she just kept saying it over and over.  


So that's that.  We are due on July 24...my estimated date of confinement according to my doctor.  On November 29 we saw the sweetest little heartbeat at 6 weeks, 1 day.  Matt almost teared up.  Love that man.  

And because there was a minor struggle for us, I leave you with an article about infertility in general.  It covers etiquette for those there to support a couple dealing with infertility.  There are always things untold...

What a Merry Christmas this will be...and again when we celebrate Christmas in July.  

4 comments:

  1. ahhhh YAYYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYYA!!!!!! I AM SOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) CONGRATS! (and the little one is due around my birthday too!) I can take your mom to be pictures? BABIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics Aubrey and even though it didn't go as planned you still got some great expressions captured for the baby's book.

    Congratulations to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AUBS!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN NOT WAIT!!!! I have been away from the internet becuase I have been with my friend while she was laboring with her baby girl! She was born today @ 1440 a beautiful baby girl named Aubrey Danielle King!!!!! Don't worry! anytime you need me I will be more than willng to babysit!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! YES! I had a feeling you were preggers and my gut was right!!! I'm so freaking excited for both you and Matt! I look forward to following along as you embark on the amazing and sometime crazy journey toward motherhood! Congratulations Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete