Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Life.

Sunday night as I was rocking the baby to sleep, my phone rang.  My brother's name flashed across the screen.  I handed the phone to Matt and motioned for him to answer the phone.  It isn't that abnormal for my brother to call, so I didn't think much of it.  Until I had laid Liam down, came back out, and Matt was pacing the house and went out onto the front porch at one point.

My brother had been in an accident.
My brother and the other driver were unharmed.
My brother was driving Matt's car - hence the phone call to us instead of to our parents.

Between a lot of phone calls and texts, I quickly left the house and headed towards my brother.  It was a whirlwind.  The back end of the car was smashed up.  Matt's SUV was rear ended by a Dodge 2500 with a giant grill guard on it.  And Matt's car, of course, was the damaged one.  Needless to say, it stinks.

Initially, I was really mad.  It was a good thing I had a 40 minute drive ahead of me because I needed to calm down.

No one was hurt.
No one was hurt.
No one was hurt.

The car is really just a car and while it may cost money, it's just money.  Matt and I are lucky that with his new job, he was provided with a company truck that allows him to drive to and from work.  So blessed.  So while we are down a personal vehicle, we are both still able to work.  Phew!!

I brought my brother to my parents house and headed home.  I cried.  I came home after being at the scene for around an hour and went into my baby boy's room.  I picked him up.  I just stood there and snuggled him into my neck.  I breathed in his sweet baby smell and just loved on him - his sound asleep body.  I wished I had been able to stand there with him all night.

I'm blessed by Liam every day.  By the rest of my family.  And by my friends.
I cannot thank God enough that no one was hurt.
The rest is just details.

1 comment: